February 11, 2009
The Bates House model is nearly finished. I completed the construction diagrams and just have to add the few written directions. Then I will save everything as a single PDF.
The entire model including the directions, will be 11 pages.
Ever since completing the prototype, I have been bothered by something that was not quite right.
The tower seemed wrong. I stared at it for days trying to figure out if there was something wrong with its proportions or angles. It just didn't have the same feel as the real house.
Then I suddenly realized that the little oval window on the tower roof was too large and placed too high. I fixed it and now it "feels" like the Bates House!
It is funny how something so small and subtle can make or break a design, and now it seems so obvious.
Below is the corrected tower roof with an inset of the way it looked before, along with a photo of the real tower window .